Masked by Words

Thursday, December 31, 2015



I found this picture one day on Pinterest.  I pinned it to a board and went on with my day.  The quote screamed at me while I was scrolling through Pinterest today, My favorite mask to wear is one made of words.

"I'm fine."

"I don't need help."

"I'm just tired."

I'm not.


2015 hit me like a train.

This year brought beautiful, beautiful moments, but also lower lows than I thought I could handle.  I found myself being forced to ask for help.  I was being held accountable to how I was caring for myself.  Vulnerability was suddenly required.  I was sucker punched again and again by being an adult.  Finances, the death of a close friend, coming death of another, and distance took their toll on me.

I took a Buzzfeed quiz the other day, and laughed at the objective, already knowing what the result would be.  The quiz asked if I could survive the year 2015 again.  The answer? A very clear no.  My answers to the pop culture questions were not sufficient enough to help me survive, but deep down I knew that there was more to it.

2015 was a harder year than I could have ever imagined.

Needless to say, the past few days have found me reflecting on this past year, and the year to come.  I started a document that now holds some of my dearest dreams for 2016.

When a thought popped in my head about blogging my list, I immediately shot it down.

"That's too personal," I told myself, "No way I'm doing that."

Jesus slapped me in the face when I came across the quote that started this post.  Do I really want to start 2016 off by using words as a mask once again? Because I've been there countless times and could certainly do it again.

I don't want to start the year off this way.  2016 is going to be a year of healing me, and healing does not begin with deceit.

So here I am, mess and all.  This is me, and I will not apologize for who I am.  I am learning and growing, and that is a process.

This is my year.  And this year, I will take action on things that heal me.

F off 2015. 

You've dealt your blows.  I'm done.  I'm not living 2016 in darkness as well.


Instead of setting huge, vague goals for 2016, I decided to make a list of actions that I want to take, and skills I want to grow in.


  • Learn how to and then maintain a budget.  Adulting wants to make me curl in the fetal position and play Stressed Out on repeat, but it has to happen.
  • Get a job that pays higher than minimum wage. A girl can dream, right?
  • Learn ballet.  My lack of grace and balance has kept me away from dance for 19 years, but I would love to care for my body by strengthening it in this way.
  • Continue to be mentored.  I am thankful beyond words for the people who wrap there arms around me and live out one of my pastor's favorite phrases.  This is what we get to do.  We get to love broken people.  It is a privilege to see the lives of others and be there in the hurt and the joy.  While I have learned how to show this love to others, I am not good at accepting it.  I want to keep letting people into my heart.
  • Start writing a book.  Lifelong dream, 'nuff said.
  • Be a more consistent blogger, and improve my blog.
  • Bible journal at least once a week.  I am so excited about getting a journaling Bible as a Christmas present, and want to be consistent in using it.
  • Follow through with the contentment challenge.  Read about it here.
  • Follow through with 30 days of writing.  My friend Sky and I are doing this together! Find her at www.skyvsworld.com 
  • Keep painting.  I loved watercolor, even though the class was discouraging at times.  I want to keep painting with a few friends because we enjoy painting together.


This is me.  Happy New Year.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave a comment with thoughts, questions or answers! I try to reply to all of them!

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs