Excuses, excuses.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

I tell myself that writing is hard.
I should check Facebook.
There are emails to answer.
I need to clean my room.
I'm not creative enough.
Other people can write better than I can.
Nobody reads what I write.

These are all excuses that I use in order to get out of doing what I love.  How does that make any sort of sense? I love something... and avoid it.

That's perfectionism rearing it's ugly head.  If I cannot do something perfectly, then I don't want to do it at all.  It is so difficult to stick to a schedule of practicing something with the intention bettering myself.

And that would be the microwave mentality that is so frequently seen in our culture.  I want something AND I want it now.

Hearing Hannah Brencher talk about how many words she's been writing has been pricking at me.  She decided that her goal for every day would be to write three thousand words.

Three THOUSAND.  Dang.

I can't even get myself to journal every day.  I am the queen of not finishing creative projects.  I started a blog.  I have several refashioning projects sitting in the drawers of my desk.
Here's the thing- I am great at achieving when it comes to helping others.  I do a really poor job when it pursuing my passions.  I tend to drop my dreams when others need help because helping them seems easier than working at what I long for.  

I'm working on that.

Today I was reminded yet again of a dream that I've stopped pursuing.  Talk about convicting.  I believe that God gives us dreams and passions for a reason.  When we stop pursuing them, we lose opportunities to connect with others and have an impact for Jesus.

So now, I'm working on being more consistent.  Using my heart and words.  And praying for a LOT of help from Jesus.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave a comment with thoughts, questions or answers! I try to reply to all of them!

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs